Let me tell you about Stockholm! It's an old, elegent, and austere city. The severe angles of the buildings are defied by the washes of saffron and pink that the Swedes have seen fit to paint them, as well as by the hidden swirls of wrought iron that dimple the exterior walls. It's beautiful.
Maddy and I ate salmon and reindeer for lunch today. What do you think of me now, Santa Claus?
We also saw the changing of the Swedish royal gurad. Let me tell you, those dudes are AWESOME. They do a slick little scoot scoot move that made me and Maddy burst out in loud, American laughs. It's ok though, because the English guy behind us totally thought it was funny too. After that, we saw the Nobel museum, which rocked. We watched aabout 15 biographies of former Nobel laureates, including Yeats, Curie, Nelson Mandela, and Schröedinger. I saw Yeats's letter-opener! Too much excitement for one day. They also had an excellent exhibition called 'Science4Design', which any Bachelor of Science student would be all over. An example: textiles designs which artfully incorporate the structure of hemoglobin. Too wonderful!
Though this city is wonderful and inviting, it's COLD. We're told the snap happened the day we came in. Go figure. Due to the 40-degree(!) weather, we're heading out a day early to check out the German countryside and the fine town of Berlin. Does anyone remember that song by the band Berlin that talks about riding on the metro? It might be called 'riding on the metro', or maybe just 'metro', or maybe something completely different because I'm really not too familiar with the song altogether. Anyway, it was stuck in my head in Paris, and now its stuck there again. I need a better song to play over and over and over in my skull.
til Berlin,
Lauren
ps we appreciate the comments. they bring us good ol' american cheer!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Yeats letter opener! Textiles and hemoglobin! That does sound awesome. Makes you wonder why swedes ever leave home.
I think the song is "On the metro". Alkaline Trio covered it within the last decade. There are worse songs to have stuck in your head.
Hi, Maddy and Lauren! It's been wonderful reading your blog and enjoying a vicarious European experience - I'm totally envious! The cultural stuff in Stockholm sounds glorious, as has everything leading up to it. I'm glad things are going well - and I hope the weather warms up for you!
Cheers,
(Aunt) Janie
Hey Lauren, what whatshername's name again? The one who works for Liftkids? Because I FINALLY sent her the answer to the tech-question she asked me forever ago-- only to find out she's not Miranda. You helped jog my memory LAST time I forgot this person wasn't Miranda. (and made fun of me!)
Please make fun of me again so that I can send the answer to the right person.
Sounds like you're having an amazing time, but I have to ask:
Who would win in a fight?
Stockholm vs. Scott Holm
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!
I like to believe that Scott McCloud would somehow win such a fight.
Post a Comment