Friday, May 16, 2008

Don't panic

Our hostel is loosely themed upon 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'. They even sell towels.

We've been spending a lot of time on the train. It's 12 hours from Stockholm to Berlin, even with some high-speed legs mixed in. Between the passes of the snack cart, running from platform to platform in stations in towns I've never heard of, a lot of idle time is created.

Top six things to do on the train:
6. Sleep
Sleep comes sporadically in hostels. Sometimes you sleep like a baby. Sometimes 4 rowdy Italians burst into your dorm at 3am when you have a 6am train. Sleep is good.
5. Stare out the window
This usually leads to sleeping. There are tons of windmills in the N. Euro countryside, and they're fun to count.
4. iPod video
Thank you again mom and dad. This is saving my life.
3. Read
I found a discarded British murder mystery book in Paris. At first I hated it, but now I'm 300 pages in and ENTHRALLED. Go figure
2. Talk
Either with other travellers or just me and the Madster, the art of conversation can make time fly. A Swede today thought it was hilarous that all college students have IKEA furniture. They think it's junk too!
1. Sleep
Trains really aren't that exciting

Just got into Berlin. We like it already. It's warmer than Stockholm: a plus! Tired though. You guys are lucky I'm devoted to this. I'm learning a different keyboard layout in every country. The Y and Z are mixed up here. I've had to retype many sentences many times. The @ is always hard to find. Here, it's ALT+q. Why?

til later,
L

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you've been taking pictures of those keyboard layouts, because that'st the sort of thing BSers eat up in terms of senior show stuff.